22/06/2016

Vintage socks and saffron | Yarn Along


I seem to have done that thing were I've started several projects and now want to get them all finished at once, mainly because I've already got some more ideas lined up! #crafterproblems #wipwoes

But I am showing great restraint and finishing the one that is a gift first, which is a pair of thick knitted socks. Progress is slow, but since taking these photos at the weekend I have now made it down to the heel turn on the first sock. I’ve not knitted socks before but these are knitted flat and then seamed together. I'm using a 1980s Bellmans aran pattern which belongs to my Mum. The heel has been causing me a bit of a headache this week, but it’s all good experience I suppose!


Despite slow progress on the knitting front, I've finished a book since my last yarn along back in January (although I still haven't finished Big Magic). I’ve instead just read The Saffron Trail by Rosanna Ley. Without giving too much away, the story follows Nell and Amy, two women from England who up on a cookery course in Marrakech together. They are both looking for answers to their family secrets and undertake their own ‘saffron trail’ in to find them. I loved Rosanna’s descriptions of Morocco and the exotic, colourful street bazaars, the perfect escape after a grey rainy day here. 


What have you been knitting and reading? 
Joining in with Ginny's Yarn Along


TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN' | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM | RSS

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting technique for sock knitting. I've done it that way with baby booties before, a few years ago. It was an easy way to get into sock knitting, although I have a much harder time enjoying the knitting process since I started making adult sized socks!
    Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...