29/08/2012

Standen - an English country garden

As mentioned in my last post, I spent bank holiday Monday exploring Standen, a beautiful house in Sussex looked after by the National Trust. Hopefully you will be able to see from my pictures that the gardens are stunning, filled with flowers, secret corners and plenty of places to sit and admire the views. The house itself is styled with William Morris wallpapers and an array of beautiful patterned textiles. It’s just the kind of place I could imagine living (well, a girl can dream) and in fact as you go round the house you can follow the story of some guests staying for the weekend through a series of letters and diary entries. It was all so interesting that I was too distracted to take any pictures inside, but I did pick up a great quote from William Morris himself...

 ‘Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’
Now that’s just crying out to be hung on a wall or embroidered onto something.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...