25/02/2012

Dressmaking, a few tips

I recently finished my first handmade clothing item, a skirt (pictured below) which I’m very proud of. However, my initial visions of being able to whip up a new item on a Sunday afternoon turned out to be somewhat unrealistic! Despite assuming a skirt would be an easy starter project and following a pattern, it was FAR from easy (but well worth it). So if you‘ve ever fancied having a go at making your own or have been inspired by the gorgeous, yet budget blowing, items from London Fashion Week, here’s a few dressmaking tips, learned from experience.

·         Find a friend, relative, local shop that will be able to offer help and advice if/when you get stuck. To a beginner (like myself) clothes patterns seem to speak a different language, so find someone who can translate.
·         If you do get stuck, read ahead and look at the pictures to give a clearer idea of what you are aiming for.
·         Try the item on as you go, so you get a perfect fit and don’t have to unpick parts later.
·         If you do have to unpick parts, it’s not the end of the world. Have a cup of tea and carry on. 
·         Try and make a season in advance. It’s not a quick process, particularly if you’re fitting it round full time work; I brought the fabric for my winter skirt in October and have only just finished it.
·         It’s not necessarily cheaper to make rather than buy. My skirt cost around £18 in total; the benefits of making your own is that you get control over fit, length, fabric colour and style. But, some fabric can be expensive, and you need to add in costs of thread, zips and a pattern.

My next project will be a summer dress, but judging by the weather today I need to get started soon. If you have any tips you'd like me to add, please comment below.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...